“FOOD ALLERGIES VERSES FOOD SENSITIVITIES”
A Food Allergy can be fatal, but Food Sensitivities are not fatal. Food Allergies have these characteristics:
1. SKIN REACTIONS LIKE HIVES OR RASHES
2. STOMACH CRAMPS, VOMITING AND DIARRHEA
3. WHEEZING OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING.
4. MIGRAINE HEADACHE
5. USUALLY ONLY SEEN IN CHILDREN: FLUID BUILDUP BEHIND THE EARDRUM
6. SWOLLEN LIPS
7. ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK-CAN BE FATAL
PRECAUTIONS MUST BE TAKEN IF A FOOD ALLERGY IS PRESENT:
1. COMPLETELY AVOID THE FOOD
2. READ ALL LABELS TO DETECT SOURCES OF AN ALLERGEN
3. CHECK WITH THE RESTAURANT STAFF TO SEE IF IMPLEMENTS ARE CROSS-UTILIZED WITH A PARTICULAR ALLERGEN
4. WARN SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH, ETC. OF THE ALLERGEN
5. ALWAYS NOTIFY THOSE AROUND YOU OF YOUR ALLERGEN AND IT’S SERIOUSNESS.
6. KEEP AN EPINEPHRINE PEN ON HAND AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT
A Food Sensitivity has similar characteristics to a Food Allergy except there is no immune response, you simply cannot digest the food. There is usually an enzyme missing in the digestive track. Follow some of the same precautionary steps as you would for a food allergy. A Food Sensitivity usually grows worse as we age. It is always good to have children allergy tested periodically to see if an allergy exists and if one does, re-test every few years to see if the allergy has been outgrown and the same with the sensitivity.
If not re-tested periodically the person may have outgrown the allergy or sensitivity and deprive themselves of nutrients from the previously offending food. If a food allergy or sensitivity is suspected, keep a food diary for up to two weeks cataloging every thing you have ingested for that two-week period. Always work with your doctor in these instances as doing otherwise could be fatal.
Information from the Little Book of Kitchen Cures for Everyday Ailments, By The Editors of FC&A Medical Publishing