“MERV” Rating Important!
I know this subject may not be as compelling as others, but it is of great significance. It is about 90-100* around here at this time of year and summer is sitting in proper. We are going to be inhaling quite a lot of indoor air. I came across this most interesting article about the subject in FC&A Publishing. This is the essence of the article:
- By using The correct furnace filter you can keep your lungs clear and A/C and heating running better.
- Filters remove pollution and microbes that cause allergies, sickness and even damage the lungs.
- How much the filters catch depends on the “MERV” rating…the higher the rating number 1-16, the less pollution gets through.
- A “MERV” lower than 5 won’t remove mold or other pollution. A “MERV” higher than 12 blocks enough air to raise your power bill.
If your system is old or under-powered, go for a “MERV” of 5-8. If a newer A/C, Heating System is used, choose a “MERV” between 9-12.
- Check filter monthly when in use as a clog sucks up energy.
- Plants are considered a filter of the air as well. These are recommended by a University of Georgia Study:
- Asparagus Fern
- The Purple Waffle Plant
- English Ivy
- Veriegated Wax Plant
- Purple Heart Plant
- Nerve Plant
- Weeping Fig
- Ming Aralia
The Studies suggest that soil microbes and pores in the plant leaves may help clean the air. A little diligence here and there and health is improved.
“Let’s Be Healthy This Summer”